II. CAN WE CHANGE?
6. Go to U.S. Energy Information Center’s state site: www.eia.gov/state/ and choose your state.
• On the map click “Layers/Legend” and click on “Remove all layers”
• Now click to turn on the following layers: State Mask and On Shore Meter Tower Wind Potential.
• Next to On Shore 50 Meter Tower Wind Potential click the plus to open up the wind potential legend.
• Click in the title bar “Layers/Legend” to make the box go away.
• Click on “Find Address” and type in the zip code of your home or school.
• What is the wind potential for your specific location? Clicking on the blue location dot will show you your potential or you can go back into the “layers” tab to view the key.
• Next, “turn off” the On Shore Meter Tower Wind Potential and “turn on” the Solar Resources in the Layers/Legend tab.
• Repeat steps 4-6.
• Now write one of the two persuasive letter options to be shared with your principal, facilities director and school board.
OPTION 1: Use evidence to support your claim(s) warranting further investigation into the use of wind and/or solar to either supplement the school’s reliance on fossil fuels to power the school or to completely convert the school to 100% reliance on wind and/or solar energy. Remember to include the impacts on the community, the economy and the environment.
OPTION 2: Use evidence to support your claim(s) that wind and/or solar energy is not a viable option for your school. Remember to include the impacts on the community, the economy and the environment.